Flashing Blades a solo RPG campaign, Part 7 - Epilogue & some thought on the game

 


Epilogue

Dupont and the two girls head off on horseback and manage to catch up with the Landladies son and the Baron.  They are informed about what has occurred and decide to return to the chateau to confront the Baroness.

Artos and Guiliume make their wat back to the chateau as well, along with the landlady in the hopes of detaining the Baroness, sadly it is too late and madam Pompadour has already left, members of the household staff say she left on horseback towards Paris but they cannot be sure.

When the Baron and the rest arrive back at the chateau, he and the landlady tell all.  The Baroness wanted the Baron dead, his house, money and estate meant more to her than him personally.  The landlady had overheard a plot between the Baroness and the hitman, who they believed to be her lover, for the Baron to be assassinated and made to look like someone else had done the deed.  Indeed, it is believed the hitman locked up the Baroness and the servants.  

The landlady foiled the plot and was able to get the baron away before he was murdered but the hitman followed them to the tavern and her son only just managed to get the Baron to safety before any harm could come to him, the rest we know about.

The Baron assumes his wife will head for Paris where she has some high ranking contacts and friends, but he expects no further trouble from her.  He thanks everyone for their help.  The PC's ask about the strange cry they heard earlier that day but no one seems to know anything about it, perhaps it was just the wind.

A few thoughts

I was happy enough with the game, it was certainly fun to allow the dice and the oracle dictate where the game went, although on some occasions I had to stear it back on track, but I think thats something every GM has to do on occasions.

It was interesting to see where the dice and random words led me, sometimes I was a little lost as to where the game was going but a few dice rolls later all made sense, I think my double oracle roll, d20 first, d6 second worked to, mixing Zathrum and MUNE was for me a winner.

As to the rules themselves, they still stand up well to this day, from a solo prospective I felt the combat system was an issue, it works well in a multi-player game where you don't know what actions each player is going to attempt, bur falls down when in a solo game you are fully aware of what everyone intends to do, and it was this issue which rather forced me to hurry the ending of the game, I need to spend some time working on a system to randomise the combat procedure before I play the nest scenario.

Speaking of the next scenario, I have a couple of ideas about what that will be, there are plenty of plot hooks that never got resolved.  Where did the Baroness go to, Paris would be good and a great place for the PC's to go to, Elaine is wanted there by both the authorities and the criminal gang she worked for, the two retired veterans want to sell their precious wine and Rosalie has a score to settle there.  Another thing that interests me is the fact they never discovered what the scream was about, the village gossip was certain there was a murder, and what were the Dragoons doing in the first post I made, also what is the mysterious road sign about.

For now I will leave these questions unanswered until I get to grips with a few more of the games mechanics, next up I will return to my Beyond the Wall fantasy game and I also will be documenting setting up a second OSR fantasy campaign.

For now though, all for one and one for all!
Flashing Blades a solo RPG campaign, Part 7 - Epilogue & some thought on the game Flashing Blades a solo RPG campaign, Part 7 - Epilogue & some thought on the game Reviewed by Wild Duck Models on September 09, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.