Through Sunken Lands - a few thoughts and what next.

 My first Through Sunken Lands RPG adventure has come to a close, I thought it wasn't going to happen, just trying to find the time to fit the last part of the adventure, the mini dungeon crawl, in  proved difficult but today I stole some time and completed it.



Did I enjoy the game, yes I did, I really like the rules but I already knew that as they are the same as Beyond the Wall, for me the adventure worked, having a reason to head off adventuring, having an end point to get to, in this case the mini dungeon, certainly helped and the oracle threw up some interesting encounters along the way, including a side adventure which kept my interest going.  

I felt engaged with the four characters I had created and want to see them progress with further adventures.  I also enjoyed the part played by Tilly the thief, although she was an NPC, there was no reason she could not  have been my PC and the other four allies, that would have worked just as well, so maybe I will revisit Tilly at some point, I am curious to see how her relationship with Karloak develops, he is certainly more than just an old hermit, and I don't know why he keeps a watchful eye over Tilly.

The four characters, Alrik, Doranus, Marianne and Sana left heading to see if they could find Gedyel Moodlum, the warden at Karmble Hold having seen the ship that sails through land, that should lead to an interesting adventure itself and I feel Gedyel Moodlum has an important part to play in future games.  The whole thing seems to be moving in a very Michael Moorcock direction, which is not surprising really as I am a big fan of his books and loved Stormbring RPG, I still have the GW 3rd edition.

Sadly, the adventures did not find the treasure Tilly hoped to get, indeed we never found out what the treasure was.  Should I have allowed the characters to simply find the secret door that would have opened the way to the final showdown, it was an option but the characters failed to find the secret door and so be it, even in solo play there has to be a chance of failure.  Maybe Tilly will try again, maybe Karloak will offer more help, or maybe not.

So what's next?  For now I intend to leave Jundarr and the Sunken lands, I really want to go back to Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures, back to my first five Characters, Corvus, Hugo, Strawberrie, Rhian and Karina the Bard, after much debate with myself I came to the conclusion that they were still my best bet when it came to exploring the fantastic 'Bay of Spirits' by roan Studios, so my next adventure will be based around Winterton, those five characters and Beyond the Wall.  In addition, look out for a new world building series for my Chivalry and Sorcery 5e games, that will begin in my next post, also got a lot of minis to paint, so more details photos and some 'how I paint things; on those as well.

Finally, I think I will drop my Zanthum 2.2 and MUNE hybrid oracle for now, I have never used Mythic so I am going to try it out, if it works for me great, if not, back to the hybrid.

So there is lots going on in my solo chainmail and sword head, maybe no as much time to devote to it as I would like, but that's just the way life is.

Cheers!

Through Sunken Lands - a few thoughts and what next. Through Sunken Lands - a few thoughts and what next. Reviewed by Wild Duck Models on October 10, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.